One surprising title on this months list is The Arab of the Future, a graphic memoir of life in the Middle East. There were two history books by noted rock historians - Peter Guralnick's biography of Sam Phillips, and the revised 6th edition of Greil Marcus' classic Mystery Train.
Works on architecture and interior design are popular. Tiny House Living is a natural fit for 21st century San Francisco and is the only carry over from the April 2015 blog list of requested books.
Two of the more unusual books on the list are Ivory Vikings, an investigation of a set of walrus ivory chess pieces more than a millennia old, and The White Road, a history of porcelain penned by the author of The Hare with the Amber Eyes.
While there may be a queue of people awaiting their holds to be filled on these books, we frequently order extra copies to meet demand, so go ahead and place your holds on these popular new books.
1. Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl: A Memoir by Carrie Brownstein (Riverhead Books, 2015).
2. M Train by Patti Smith (Alfred A. Knopf, 2015).
3. The Arab of the Future: A Graphic Memoir: A Childhood in the Middle East (1978-1984) by Riad Sattouf, translated by Sam Taylor (Metropolitan Books, Henry Holt and Company, LLC, 2015.
4. Boys in the Trees: A Memoir by Carly Simon (Flatiron Books, 2015).
5. I'll Never Write My Memoirs by Grace Jones as told to Paul Morley (Gallery Books, 2015).
6. Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink by Elvis Costello (Blue Rider Press, 2015)
7. Styled: Secrets for Arranging Rooms, From Tabletops to Bookshelves by Emily Henderson with Angelin Borsics (Potter Style, 2015).
8. Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock 'n' roll by Peter Guralnick (Little, Brown and Company, 2015).
9. Tiny House Living: Ideas for Building and Living Well in Less than 400 Square Feet by Ryan Mitchell. (Betterway Home, 2014).
10. Love Style Life by Garance Doré (Spiegel & Grau, 2015).
11. Peggy Guggenheim: The Shock of the Modern by Francine Prose (Yale University Press, 2015).
12. The Kinfolk Home: Interiors for Slow Living by Nathan Williams (Ouur/Artisan, 2015).
13. Becoming by Cindy Crawford (Rizzoli International Publications, Inc., 2015).
14. Mystery Train: Images of America in Rock 'n' roll Music by Greil Marcus (Plume, 2015).
15. Keeping an Eye Open: Essays on Art by Julian Barnes (Alfred A. Knopf, 2015).
16. Ivory Vikings: The Mystery of the Most Famous Chessmen in the World and the Woman who Made Them by Nancy Marie Brown (St. Martin's Press, 2015).
17. Cabin Porn: Inspiration for Your Quiet Place Somewhere, collected by Beaver Brook, edited by Zach Klein (Little, Brown and Company, 20150.
18. The White Road: Journey into an Obsession by Edmund de Waal (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2015).